|Got a question for our online SBR.ph coach? Just click the Ask The Coach tab above!|
Photo Credit : usatriathlon.org/news/articles/2009/04/why-do-the-du-first-timers-offer-their-perspectives.aspx
We got an email from Lem Payo, a duathlon newbie who’s looking for a good start up bike for his inaugural multisport event. Aside from that, he also asked Coach Ani for a basic training program that he could use to make sure he’ll be able to cross the line on race day.
From Lem :
Mam…im joining my first ever duathlon … im currently using my old MTB for this event, can u suggest what is good bike for duathlon?…how much it cost me to buy a new bike? and also what is the basic training for duathlon…thanks mam
From Coach Ani :
If it’s your first time to join a duathlon, I suggest that you use your mountain bike for now, it should be perfectly fine! However if you are really on the lookout for a new bike, a road bike can give you access to a lot of other races like cycling races and triathlons. Normally you can purchase a bike anywhere between P25,000 to P500,000+! You could also look into the items for sale in this website (biketradesph.com) as there are a lot of previously owned bikes which have a friendlier price.
As for beginners’ duathlon training, you can do this for your typical week:
1. 1 Bike Ride which is 1-2hours long.
2. 1 Run Session which is 35-50min.
3. 1 Combination session of 45-60min Bike Ride followed immediately by a 30min run. You can do different variations, like run-bike-run/ 2 sets of bike-run, etc.
4. If you have more time, you can add one more 30min run session.
5. Try to do these at a comfortable pace at the start of your training. Nearing the race you can insert some faster surges in the middle of your sessions.